Credit: Boston Business Journal
What does the shorter Winthrop Square tower now look like?
According to the Boston Business Journal, the refined Winthrop Square tower will include the following:
- 500 residential units;
- 750,000 square feet of office space;
- 21,000 square feet of publicly accessible meeting space;
- 21,000 square feet of restaurant/retail space;
- 115,000 square feet of affordable housing that could be built in Chinatown in collaboration with the
- Asian Community Development Corp.;
- Two exterior green roof spaces; and
- Capacity for 550 vehicles in five levels of underground parking.
The update follows an ongoing discussion around the impact of the shadows cast onto the Boston Common given the tower’s height, orientation, and location.
The shadows that will be cast from Millennium Partners proposed Winthrop Square project might darken this development. Who knew, or who should have known, that shadow effect on the Common and Public Garden existed?
Credit: Boston Globe
From the Boston Globe:
Millennium’s proposal, according to the developer’s analysis, would be out of compliance on average about 36 minutes a day over the course of a year on the Common and on average about five minutes a day over the course of a year on the Garden.
“You can correct for water with irrigation. You can correct for nutrients with fertilizer,” said Liz Vizza, executive director of the Friends of the Public Garden. “You cannot correct when you lose light.”